I had a revelation while vacationing in Maui (besides the ballistic missile warning, which is a whole separate blog-worthy learning experience…) – and it happened while I was deciding which beer to drink at lunch one day.
We’d spent the morning snorkeling in Napili Bay and were famished. The closest thing was the Maui Brewing Co. So, we stopped in there, hoping to find a nice refreshing beer and some grub.
I’m a fan of light beers, the dark ones remind me of coffee, and, well… yuck.
So, I got some Pineapple Wheat. When I told the bartender I would “try” it, she asked if I wanted to sample it. I said, “no, just give me one.” I was actually surprised that she asked me. I mean, usually they just give it to you, but this was a brewery, so maybe it is different. Funny thing, my husband did the same thing and had the same response.
It was then that I realized… I do this all the time. I don’t TRY things. I DO things, and then I deal with the consequences or celebrate the wins. I mean, order a beer, if you don’t like it, tough crap, just finish it and move on, or don’t finish it and move on.
So…. are you a try-er or a do-er??
Are you tip toeing around your new business venture? Or are you doing the activities that will really get it moving?
Are you trying all sorts of fad diets, or just doing what you know you need to do?
Here’s what I’ve learned in fitness and in business…
- If you are trying, then you aren’t really committed. In order to see what the true results will be, you must commit. If you half-ass it, then you get half-ass results. If you commit, you give it all you got AS IF it was your new business/diet/whatever and only then can you decide if it is for you.
- If you are trying, then you aren’t really committed (see what I did there?) and that is FINE. No worries if you aren’t ready to commit, you will be one day.
- If you are trying, you might be suffering. Suffering is a choice, and is often a result of not deciding. OMG, how much stress can you relieve if you just choose and move on. Then choose again if it is the wrong choice. Life is fulllllll of do-overs. So, do over, choose again. I do it all the time, no shame in my game!
- If you are trying, your soul is telling you something. Even if you are just trying things out– business things, health things, beer things :), you have to ask yourself why. Why are you looking for something else? Are you unhappy? Are you ready for some change, any change? What is calling you??
- If you are trying, you are procrastinating. One of my favorite moves is to jump before I am ready. Am I waiting to write the perfect blog? No, I’m just typing what is in my head. If I waited for it to be perfect, it would never get done. Same thing for you– if you are getting ready to get ready to do something, just do it. Especially when you are not ready! You will learn! You will live after it, even if it was a total FAIL! Do-over! Lucky you!!
I’ll sum it up by saying — trust yourself! You will figure it out. Do it, whatever it is. No dilly-dallying, no dipping your toe in. Jump! Don’t taste test that beer – order it, enjoy it, revel in it, be grateful that you even had a choice.